Although having a roommate in NYC is great for splitting rent and always having some company, there are just some people who are destined to be bad roommates.
Plus, how much is the money that you’re saving on rent really worth when you don’t even want to sleep in the same apartment as your roommate from hell?
We put together a list of the top 5 qualities that you should pay attention to when it comes to being a good roommate and finding the roommate for you.
- Nobody wants to live in the midst of trash
- Clean up after yourself – remember that you’re living with a roommate, not a maid
- If you admit to being a bit messy, make sure to at least keep shared spaces spotless
- Respect is a golden rule and applies to everything
- You don’t have to be best friends with a roommate, but it’s important to treat them well
- Just be nice! It’s much easier and you’ll be happier that you aren’t living in a tense environment
3. Ability to Communicate
- The foundation of any type of relationship is based on communication
- Avoid any big blow-outs by tending to small disputes as they come along
- Don’t be passive-aggressive – it’s hard for your roommate to tell if something bothers you if it isn’t something that would also tick them off
- Once you and your roommate set ground rules, make sure that you stick to your word
- Make sure to pay bills on time and follow the tenant guidelines on your lease
- It is your and your roommate’s duty to make living together as comfortable as possible
- At the end of the day, it’s important that you can be friendly with your roommate
- Both of you should feel comfortable doing simple things together like grabbing coffee or watching TV
- If you just can’t seem to get along, it may be time to find a new roommate
If you and your roommate remember to keep up with these tips, you’ll find that living in harmony with one another isn’t as difficult as it sounds.
Check back soon for our next Platinum Talk!