Platinum Properties stands in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and its mission to overcome centuries of hate and inequality. This ongoing movement demands that we actively combat racism and speak out against injustice. We need to educate ourselves, raise our voices and increase our support in order to achieve widespread systemic change.
Please see below for opportunities we have found to educate ourselves, sign petitions, donate to organizations that are leading the movement for racial equality and to donate directly to the victim’s families.
There is so much that needs to be done to enact change. The first step for many of us is to educate ourselves. Here are a few organizations, initiatives and campaigns working hard to bring justice to the Black Lives Matter community.
Black Lives Matter – The Black Lives Matter website provides tools for understanding the movement’s goals and resources for taking action.
Anti-Racism Resources – A document intended to serve as a resource to the white community to deepen anti-racism work. It includes links to articles, books, videos, podcasts, film and television series, and more.
Real Talk with Daughters of the Movement – This Facebook Live series, hosted by For Freedoms, talks to women who sat at the feet of some of the most revolutionary leaders of the American Civil Rights Movement.
Start a Conversation
Talk to Your Kids – PBS NewsHour Extra released a lesson plan for grades 6-12 about the death of George Floyd. The plan includes a news video (that omits the footage of Floyd’s death) and discussion questions about the protests, police brutality, and media literacy.
For more ideas and ways to open up the conversation with your children, check out this comprehensive list courtesy of Education Week.
NAACP Legal Defense Fund – The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is America’s premier legal organization fighting for racial justice.
Bail Funds to Support – ActBlue Civics has put together a growing list of bail funds, mutual aid funds, and racial justice organizers. Choose to split a donation amongst the list, or allocate specific amounts to individual groups.
115 Ways to Donate in Support of Black Lives and Communities of Color – It should go without saying that while expansive, this guide is nowhere near complete, and will be updated as we identify and vet new entities.
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin J. DiAngelo
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
- They Were Her Property: White Women as Slave Owners in the American South by Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi